Narmada Park is located in Lembuak Village, Narmada District, West Lombok Regency or about 10 kilometers east of Mataram City, West Nusa Tenggara Province, Indonesia. This 2 ha hectare garden was built in 1727 by the Mataram King of Lombok, Anak Agung Ngurah Karang Asem, as a place of Pakelem ceremony held every fifteenth full year Caka (October-November). In addition to the ceremonial venue, Narmada Park is also used as a royal family resting place during the dry season.
The name Narmada is taken from Narmadanadi, a very holy Ganges river in India. For Hindus, water is a sacred element that gives life to all beings in this world. The water that emanates from the ground (springs) is associated with the tirta amerta (water of immortality) that emanates from Kensi Sweta Kamandalu. It used to be the name of Narmada used to name the springs that form several pools and a river in that place. Gradually used to call the temple and the whole complex Narmada Park.
The current Narmada Park is the result of the construction and a series of repairs / restorations that take place from time to time. As officers from the Directorate of Protection and Development of Historical and Archaeological Heritage together with officials of West Nusa Tenggara Regional Office of Depdikbud examine and collect data as a first step of refurbishment, they argue that a thorough restoration is impossible. Many parts have been damaged, especially the cliffs of ponds, parks, fences and buildings. From 1980 to 1988 the reconstruction of Narmada Park could be completed.
After being reconstructed by the government through the Directorate General of Culture, the Directorate of the Protection and Development of Historical and Archaeological Heritage, the Ministry of Education and Culture, Narmada Park was made as a cultural heritage building complex with a master list of historical heritage inventory and purbapakala center number 1839. Thus, the preservation of Narmada Park is protected by the government.
Narmada Park Complex Narmada Park Complex in Lombok that can be divided into several parts, namely the main gate, jabalkap, twin lake, gate arch / paduraksa, mukedes, lake padmawangi, balai loji, light hall, patandaan, building as fast, bananah hall, Pura Kelasa and Pura Lingsar. The following will be described parts of the Narmada Park from the main gate.
The main gate-shaped gate and the north. After the main gate we will enter the jabalkap yard, in which there is a twin lake. In the southern part of the jabalkap there is a gate named Gapura Gelang or Paduraksa which connects between the jabalkap yard and the mukedes yard. In the mukedes yard there are several buildings, such as Sanggah Pura, Pamerajan Hall and Balai Loji (one of the royal residence buildings). In the southeast of the mukedes there is a gate that leads to the pasarean yard. In this pastor yard there are also Balai Loji, Telaga Padmawangi, Pawedayan, pawargan, Balai Terang. Balai Terang is a building that serves as a place to rest / sleep the king, shaped stage entirely made of wood. The top of the open building is used to enjoy the view towards Meru temple in the east. The doors and windows of Balai Terang are single moon and plants.
On the east side of Pasarean there is Pura Kelasa or Pura Narmada. The shape of the architecture resembles punden terraces. The most sacred part is in the middle courtyard at the topmost level (Balinese temple is generally the holiest page is the very back). This temple belongs to the pura jagat or pura general for all followers of Hindu Dharma and is one of the eight old temples on the island of Lombok. Pura Narmada is situated on the cliff tops of the steps, while under the cliff valley there is a mermaid pond and a lion’s lake.
South of the pasarean page there is a patandaan yard. On this lawn there are two sakapat building that is a kind of wantilan or open stage four poster. On this page often held various performances. While in the south of Patandaan there is a buckah page. What is left on this page is now a wall around the courtyard with two gates of a moment.
The elements of other buildings are still many, including the nine (siwak) shower located above Segara Anak. The building form dorogancet with two separate parts resembles a traditional building in Central Java. This building includes a sacred building for both Hindu Dharma and Adherents of Tilu Time.
In addition, there is also Hall of Petirtaan whose source of water comes from Mount Rinjani. Petirtaan Hall is also a meeting place of three water sources, namely Suranadi, Lingsar, and Narmada. Because the spring comes from Mount Rinjai and the meeting place of three other springs, the water in Petirtaan Hall is believed to make the person drinking and washing his face with water in it will stay young.
Other buildings in the complex Narmada Park in the form of landscaping has been difficult to trace its authenticity. According to the 1899 map of the park in the Narmada Park complex are: Bidadari Park, Anyar Park, Paresak Park, and Kelasa Park. Anyar Park and Kelasa Park has now become a residential area. While Paresak Park has now become a fruit orchard with the main plant is the mangosteen fruit.